Playing hall monitor again? grin

Jeff,

Please allow me to put this in perspective for you. There are between 7,000 and 12,000 wolves in Alaska...perhaps more. They are not in any danger of becoming extinct (up to 45% of their population could be taken out of the picture (by all means) and their population would remain constant.) The actual percentage taken is much lower. On the contrary, their numbers are growing. There are far more for-the-meat hunters than recreational hunters here...not that makes any difference to me in the slightest. I feel that all should be able to hunt. The problem arises when wolves become too numerous and start taking out pets, livestock, and the prey species that many people here (and elsewhere) are having problems with. There were two accounts of pet dogs killed by wolves in the paper just this morning.

Those that would do away with all hunting are throwing the mix in an uproar. Consequently, without a balance of prey and predator alike, the numbers of the first (prey) will drop beyond what the capacity can carry and will likely end up with a recovery cycle measured in decades rather than a couple of years. Then (though adaptable) the wolves will start to die off as their meal ticket shrinks. Who is the end looser? We are. Whether meat hunter or sport hunter, we will loose. THAT I submit, is not acceptable.

What many people cannot fathom is that ALL hunters to Alaska, and I submit elsewhere, are the only ones paying for the right-headed conservation of BOTH species. To NOT kill a few wolves could be just the worst thing that would ever happen to a system. The "I'm-gonna-sue-the-government, no-one-should-hunt crowd" spend millions of dollars each and every year that drain much of the monies earmarked for proper, biological conservation and protection of the species...both prey and predator. Not one cent of their bankroll EVER goes into the conservation of these animals. Ironic, isn't it, that those who purport to be the animal's savior may be causing the most damage to the critters? And there are flocks of people that keep sending their money in to these? Makes me sick.

No, wolves in Alaska will never be depleted unless the greenies/cheechako's who want NO HUNTING EVER have their way. That would be a shame for sure. The wolf will never be able to be "over hunted" in any way shape or form. But they might not survive the NO HUNTING crowd...

bhtr

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters