I don't usually add my 2 cents worth to issues like this but one thing that raised a flag with me was when the gentleman said he was laid off from the coal mines. I live near there and I can honestly tell you that the Sunday newspaper is full of adds for coal miners...every weekend. Metallurgical coal is produced around here which is shipped to India, Russia and China among other developing countries for steel making. The companies are begging for experienced coal miners and cannot get enought of them so they hire newbies ("red hats") and train them.

The only post I made on this issue was a post showing the local sheriff of Wyoming County. My factual experience about an "unofficial" visit was about 20 years ago when a young teenage girl on my street decided she wanted to make my wife miserable by taunting her by calling her bad names, making fun of her, mocking her and other bad stuff. I couldn't get anywhere with the parents who denied that she did anything so when I came home from work and found my wife all torn up I called good old Sheriff Mangum (no, not Magnum) and he personally came to our house and got our side of the story. He then went to visit the girl's family. He stayed over an hour there and stopped back at my house and told us he didn't think we would have any more trouble and we didn't. It was all unofficial and off the books. That's kinda the way we do things here in "Mayberry".