Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
So looking at the satellite images, it appears that an east wind is pushing this monster. Not knowing much about the area, would a west wind push the fire back into itself, starving it of fuel?

Was watching a live stream in YouTube where a couple of former FS firefighters were making a stand with their private rigs defending one of the guys parents house. Cedar shakes roof, RH in the single digits, temps near 90, and a probability of ignition (PIG) of nearly 100%. Not sure if they were successful or not. I’m sure it was a long night as the fire was only 1/2 mile away. They did get pictures of possible looters they confronted taking boxes of stuff including handguns off the mountain. Special place in hell if that’s what was going on.

Godspeed to our guys in OR. The enormity of loss so quickly is unimaginable. I hope Mother Nature gives you a hand in getting this thing under control.

I never understood cedar shake roofs living fire and snow country. All my buildings had metal roofs. Every year had fires come through my area.