Hey logger I'd bet your more in tune than I am on the subject. I've not had to worry about it my last two houses. I'm pretty good here at the new place as well but might as well take some precautions.

One big thing in that video was the green belt around the house. Lots of those places had dry grass right up to the buildings. That's more or less a given that the home will get fire exposure with a trail of dead and dry material leading to the structure. Something I'm going to be figuring out is the role of shade trees in transporting fire to the structures. Which ones are best, how far away is safe, etc

I went down yesterday and bought the materials to build a house and shop rooftop sprinkler system. I had to back order some 3/4x1/2 saddle tees, but otherwise it's a slam dunk. I'm going to use pvc pipe, but plan on painting it to resist sun damage, unless someone has a better idea for pipe. Lay flat hoses seem sloppy. I will install king automatic drains in the pipe network so when it shuts off it drains itself, to eliminate freezing and breakage. It'll run off a garden hose hooked to a pipe coming down off the roof at the end of the house.

One thing I did when developing this place was immediately upgraded the well pump with a larger volume unit and installed large enough pvc pipe around the property to make full use of the pumps ability. If anyone plans on putting out a fire by hooking up a garden hose to the faucet coming out the side of their house they've got another thing coming. By the time you've run through all the tiny little pipes in your house you don't get any volume out the faucet on the outide of your home.

Instead, run some pvc pipes around the property that can handle some volume. If you have fire fighting risers out in the pucky brush make them galvanized risers and metal faucets or fire hose adapters so they don't melt in a fire and release all your water when you need it most. If you live on acreage you could also run aluminum pipes above ground if digging isn't practical. Anything to get water out where you need it. I've only got an acre so my problem isn't like yours, as I remember your place you've got some beautiful land up there.

I'm still looking at bare dirt most of the way around so I have choices, but sprinkler systems play a huge part. Without water, everything will be dry and vulnerable here due to 6 months or more with high temps and no appreciable rain. I envy those places that are green all summer, but the price you pay for that is well, rain, and bugs maybe? Don't know, don't live there.

Anyhow, water around and on top of the house, careful use of trees and fences too close to the structures, and a looped gravel driveway is my defense plan. May do hardiplank siding next year if money and time allow.

I feel really horrible for so many of our neighbors that are suffering, but if anything good comes of things like this like better awareness, than we need to embrace it and learn to adapt best we can.

LOL