I am an older (47) geology graduate student who has an opportunity to take a position in AK upon graduation and I am interested in getting a .35 Whelen for brown bear, moose, and caribou. I lived in AK for almost a year back in the early 90s and I am excited about the possibility of returning. Bear defense would likely be handled by a JM stamped Marlin .45-70, if I can ever find one for a decent price, but the Whelen would likely accompany me in the field until a suitable Marlin could be found (either that or a Ruger Blackhawk in .454 Casull, depending on the amount of gear I would have to carry).

I have seen several Mauser-based, custom .35 Whelens for sale on the gun auction sites, which range in price and quality from $300.00 to nearly 10K, but I am considering either a Montana AVR/SS $1,333.00 (stainless barreled action w/ walnut stock) or a Montana V2 for $1,458.00 (stainless barreled action w/ carbon/kevlar stock). The AVR is also available in carbon steel for a bit less. I prefer the walnut stock; however, the Montana V2 includes Marbles iron sights, which is desirable for me since I plan to mount a Leupold VX-6 1-6x24 with Q/D rings and use the irons for defense & the scope for hunting. I could also get a stainless Montana V2 barreled action and drop it into an Accurate Innovations stock, since I really dislike synthetic stocks, but I’m not sure it would be worth the expense. I just prefer walnut for its warmth and classic style.

Several years ago I read that Montana Rifle Co. rifles had spotty reliability, but I imagine they have resolved any issues; although, I cannot confirm this.

I do not currently reload, but I would like to one day, if I can ever find a reloading mentor, but Midway has several .35 Whelen ammo offerings, which would cover anything I needed.

I also briefly considered a CZ 550 carbine in 9.3x62, but I much prefer the Whelen.

I should also mention that I am a CRF guy - no push-feeds for me & I'm not trying to start an argument on the merits of either action.

So my question is, would I be better off with a Montana or trying to find a Mauser-based .35 Whelen? My concern with a used Mauser-based rifle is that I would like to avoid the possibility of additional gunsmithing on some of these rifles.

High_Noon

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/25/16.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue