Not saying it couldn't happen but I've never run out of ammo on a hunt nor forgot to take my ammo on a hunt. I always have some extra in my day pack and more either in the truck, on the four wheeler or at camp. I have gotten to the range a time or two without ammo but that's usually because I got distracted by a phone call or a question from the wife while I was loading the truck. I have a checklist prior to leaving for my hunts. Probably should have one for the range.

I shoot some unusual rounds. The 35 Whelen and 300 H&H are not that odd but neither are likely to be in your hunting buddies pocket. I also go afield with a 400 Whelen, 6.5x53 Rimmed (256 Mannlicher), 10.75x57 and 6mmx222. I've never killed a head of big game with factory ammo.

The availability of factory ammo or the possibility of running out in the field has never been a factor in what I choose to carry afield. I think that argument is pretty much without grounds. Yes, airlines can loose bags, ammo can get lost, but split it up between a couple of bags and depending on your airline's rules, leave some in the case with the rifle. If your traveling with a friend or family member have them put a box in their baggage if it's that much of a concern. Two hunting buddies traveling together could each carry an extra box of the others ammo to minimize the chance of lost bags and ammo.

It was mentioned the 35 Whelen is inferior to the 9.3x62. That case could be easily made but in that same light it could be argued the 9.3x62 is inferior to the 375 H&H which is inferior to the 404 Jeffrey and right up the line. The notion that one round is inferior to another, while it may be true, does not mean the "inferior" round is inadequate for the job at hand. The 35 Whelen is more than adequate for all North American game. Inferior to the 9.3x62? Perhaps. Inadequate for Alaska? Not by any stretch of the imagination.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.