Originally Posted by High_Noon
Originally Posted by Judman
I'd get a rock chucked kit.

I previously checked out the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme kit, which looks like a good value. However, I'll probably try to find a used kit in order to save $. Any brands I should keep an eye out for? Is it wise not to mix component brands when building a kit?

There are several good brands on the used market but RCBS and Redding lead the pack. There is nothing wrong with a single stage press made by RCBS, Redding, Lyman, Hornady, or Lee. They'll all give you good service. Check out the local yard sales and guns shops. You may stumble onto a perfectly serviceable press for not a lot of money.

There is no issue mixing brands. With the exception of a couple of oddities, the dies are all 7/8-14 threads and interchange between brands of presses. RCBS and Redding make good dies and are readily available. I have and use dies from RCBS, Redding, Lyman, Hornady, CH4D, Pacific, Herters and Lachmiller with my RCBS and Lyman presses.

I use an RCBS 505 scale I've had since I was 18 and also have a simple electronic scale. Either will serve you well. It is not necessary to buy a powder measure until you get to a point you're loading a lot. For a few boxes of practice loads and hunting loads you can get by nicely with a scale, and a Lee dipper set. Some my most accurate 35 Whelen loads I turned out with a Lee hand press, a small digital scale and a Lee dipper set. All of my reloading gear was packed and in storage while we were living in a small apartment waiting for our house in Washington to sell.

If you get moved up here to Alaska shoot me a PM and I'll help you get started with reloading.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.