Originally Posted by TheKid
I haven't been impressed with the Montana rifles I've handled and worked on regardless of calibers. I would much rather get a Ruger and sink some money into customizing it to my liking. In fact my Whelen is a M77 I rebarreled and tweaked.

Before you fly into the bush scatter a few extra rounds into each pack, camp box, or drybag you're taking that way if you forget or loose your ammo you'll at least have two or three. There's no TSA at the floatplane dock so you won't have to worry about that.

That's what I was afraid of regarding the Montana Rifle Co., which is why I was looking at custom Mausers in the first place. Several years ago, when I was looking at building a custom Mauser based project that never materialized, I was considering a Montana barreled action, but I read too many negative reviews for it to be a fluke and I ruled them out. Since I have an older M77 in .270, I considered using it as a base for a .35 Whelen build, but at this point in time, I don't think I want to get involved with the expense/time/hassle to do so. Of course, the CZ 9.3x62 carbine or 550 American is an attractive option as I find my 6.5x55 CZ 550 American to be a very good rifle. But perhaps I'll keep searching for the right .35 Whelen Mauser on the gun auction sites & tweak it as necessary. Also, good advice regarding a few extra rounds in each bag/pack/camp box.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/25/16.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue