Originally Posted by High_Noon
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Dian: I will concede that synthetic stocks and stainless is the way to go in AK, notwithstanding the success many Alaskans have had with carbon steel and walnut, SS/synthetic sure would cut way down on maintenance/rust prevention.

Sitka deer: I didn’t realize shipping cost on ammo would be so cost prohibitive in AK. I do understand that the ’06 is highly effective in AK and this would probably be the most logical choice, regardless of my desire for a Whelen or the CZ 9.3x62 for that matter. I also understand that .35 Whelen/9.3x62 ammo is highly unlikely to be found in a remote town. I have addressed this issue in the past by taking 2 rifles/ammo when I travel to remote areas, in case of a problem. Should I decide to go the Whelen route, I would find a factory loading in the lower 48 & then purchase a couple of cases before traveling to AK. The Whelen would also likely give me the motivation I need to start reloading.

stevelyn: For some reason I have always shied away from the ’06 and I’m not sure why – perhaps it’s due to my fondness for the .270 and since I'm looking for more of a jump in size/power over the .270. Since I have some time, I will certainly consider the ’06.

boliep: Thanks for the offer, but I’m not a big fan of the Hawyeye.

Dogslife57: I did consider the Ruger (M77), but by the time I customized it to my liking, I could probably just get a Montana AVR/SS or V2. Laying in a supply of .35 Whelen before I move to AK and before I start to reload was/is the plan.

mart: Based on my research & a guide friend of mine in AK, I tend to agree with your assessment of the .35 Whelen. Additionally, from what I have learned about reloading so far, your recipe for the 250 grain Nosler Partition sounds like a winner.

las: I appreciate your, SD’s & 458’s comments regarding .35 Whelen ammo availability, and I realize and agree that you correct on this point, but as stated, I do have a plan to address this issue. + I’d hate to get an ’06 and then start reloading, only to find that I wished I had bought the Whelen! I have never been interested in ‘new-fangled’ cartridges; I much prefer the age-old, tried and true calibers.

kaboku68: Good to know that .35 Whelen factory loadings are available in AK. You have also confirmed what I have read about the Whelen, namely, that it’s an awesome AK caliber. The ’06 is still in contention as is the 9.3x62.

Bugger: I think it’s a great idea to rebarrel a new M70 to .35 Whelen, but again, the cost of doing so would put me into Montana AVR/SS or V2 $ territoty. I’d like to have a custom, Mauser built, but the cost is prohibitive for me.

Ray: a 220 grainer ’06, would certainly be good medicine, which is why the ’06 is still in contention.

stlooiearch: Yep.

SuperCub: Agreed. Current line-up, in order of preference: 1) Montana Rifle Co. V2 in .35 Whelen, 2) CZ 550 carbine in 9.3x62 – is a 20.6” barrel adequate for this caliber? 3) M70 in ’06. I will look into the JC Higgin M50 FN-98 action. & yes, I agree it’s time to learn to reload.

Originally Posted by Steelhead
Get a woman for warmth.

Best advice in this entire thread, and an important consideration for my impending move to AK - but not quite as important as the caliber/rifle I choose - I do have my priorities straight. When I was in AK in the early 90s, I did see several cute girls, but I was much younger then. What’s the female situation like now in AK? Considering I am now 47, I have my concerns. & yes, I’d travel to AK with a couple of cases of .35 Whelen/9.3x62, depending on my ultimate decision.

The point being, forget WALNUT for 'warmth'

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"