Originally Posted by High_Noon
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I would get the CZ 550 Kevlar Carbine in 9.3x62 and be done with it. It won't take more than a week or so to have one in your hands.

True and an excellent choice. I have not ruled it out by any means.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
That's a great option. There's also the Zastava. I believe they make them in stainless too. However, I think the OP is pretty dead set on the 35Whelen.

I didn’t consider the Zavasta, which I’ll look into. I’m not necessarily dead set on the .35 Whelen. My reasons for ranking the .35W first on the list are as follows:
1) Availability of many different types/brands of ammo. A simple internet search on wikiarms.com or ammoseek.com will conform this.
2) .30-06-based, so reloading components are far more plentiful – especially brass.
3) Several options in terms of CRF rifles that could be converted to .35W

Obviously the CZ 550 carbine in 9.3x62, would be easier in terms of simply purchasing the rifle, but factory ammo options are somewhat lacking when compared to the .35W – especially in terms of the bullets I typically like, i.e. Nosler Partition, Barnes, North Fork. For some reason there seems to be several 9.2x63 factory loads that use the Accubond, which may be fine for caribou, but I’d definitely prefer a more heavily constructed bullet for bruins.

High noon, if your are seriously considering getting into reloading you could go with the 9.3x62mm. That's one of my favorite cartridges. Very comparable to a 35 Whelen. I would buy Nosler partitions for very reasonable prices at SPS (shooters pro shop) if that's the kind of bullet you like. I've seen the blemished/seconds 286 gr. pills sell for less than $20.00/box. That's why you see many of my 10 shot and 5 shot groups posted here... laugh . Anyway, I'm not going to tell you one is better than the other. Or for that matter, why a 200gr. nosler partition in the good ol 30-06 won't work as well as either of those 2 cartridges either. Hell, I might even try to steer you into getting a 338 win mag or 375 H&H since you are talking big critters. I like them all and shoot them all, can't say enough about all the bigger cartridges I enjoy shooting. Either way, it sounds like you are level headed enough to make a good decision...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA