Originally Posted by BCJR
If i were a poor grad student I would buy the cheapest reliable 30.06 I could buy and a case of ammo and go kill everything that walks here. I would spend whatever money I had left and go hunting. Hunting here will cost you if you want consistently good hunting. It will most likely involve a plane or a boat. I know there are exceptions to that , but its a fair statement to say your choice of caliber from 06 and up shouldn't be your biggest concern regarding hunting here. There are much more important things to consider and plan.

Very true, but I do not plan to make a purchase or hunt (other than whitetails and feral hogs on a buddy's ranch here in W. TX) until I am employed and bringing in a good salary. I mentioned previously that the rifle under discussion here will be a graduation present to myself and I will not make the purchase until I can afford to do so and it's a financially responsible decision for me. I want to learn all I can now, so that when it comes time to purchase said rifle, I can do so with confidence in my decision. I also have a good buddy in AK that I grew up with and traveled to AK with in the early 90s, that ran his own guiding outfit for a number of years, I can be sure he would take me on a no-charge guided hunt, other than tags and incidentals.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue