458 Lott: Thanks for the reply, but I'm not particularly interested in a belted magnum and I am looking for something a bit more powerful/unusual than the '06. Local ammo availability is not really a concern for me. As a long time owner of a CZ 550 in 6.5x55, I simply found a factory loading that shot well from my rifle and then purchased a truck load of it. I've never had a problem with ammo and I would not rule out the Whelen due to lack of local ammo availability.

stlooiearch: I have seen quite a bit more ammo availability for the Whelen than I have for the 9.3x62, but again, once I found a load I liked, I would order a bunch of it. I am partial to the Nosler Partition and I have not seen a 9.3x62 with the Partition. Also, thanks for the link, I looked for, but was unable to find a 550 American in walnut -I was only able to find the synthetic stocked 550 carbine. What is your opinion of the synthetic stocked 550 carbine w/ 20.6" barrel vs. the 550 American/walnut w/ 23.6" barrel? I'll admit that 550 American/walnut is very tempting. I also think that the .35 Whelen and the 9.3x62 are so close ballistically, that any difference is largely academic. A .009 size difference is hardly anything to get excited about. & duly noted on the size/weight of the Ruger .454.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/24/16.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue