Originally Posted by rost495
Holy crap, a grad student with a child. That would make me nervous as hell.

Best of luck on that!!! Can't imagine married, with child bills and grad school bills and no job all at the same time. Scary.

Actually, it's a lot worse than that. I'm an older grad student (47) and divorced. My Federal Student Loans and my work at the University as a Research Assistant are all I can rely upon. Which is why I need to finish my thesis and get my fargin' degree and get to work! When I started grad school in geology, West Texas Intermediate was nearly $130.00/barrel and the outlook was great. Then oil dropped to around $28.00/barrel and that rosy outlook evaporated. I'm not at all optimistic that my offer of employment will still be there when I graduate, hence my "when I can find a decent position" comment. I know a few people who had offers from oil companies that have been rescinded.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/30/16.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue