Originally Posted by stlooiearch
So lets sum this up:

the OP is going to take a "position" not a job

he is planning on getting a 35 whelen, clearly inferior to the CZ 9.3x62 he could buy for about the same money.(he already owns a CZ, so no learning curve)

if he MUST have a whelen, he is doing it the hardest way possible by reboring something else, is spite of no shortage of factory CRF 35 whelens for sale

now, because all 35 whelen factory ammo is inferior to that available for the 9.3x62, he's thinking about reloading

can hardly wait until we move on to a scope for the rifle.

stlooiearch: You’re making this sound like I’m some sort of idiot. My apologies if I offended you in some way. I posted my questions on this forum because I respect the knowledge and experience here. I’m not oblivious to the fact that there are others with far more experience and knowledge than I and I appreciate everyone’s input. But to address the points in your post:

1) I stated that I have an opportunity to take a position in AK. I used the word ‘position’, because it is definitely different than a ‘job.’ A job is simply paid employment that usually does not have permanency and offers little in the way of advancement or job satisfaction. Jobs usually have a stringent, set of performance elements (duties, responsibilities and tasks – usually menial), which must be accomplished in order to both keep said job and to be paid. A ‘position,’ on the other hand, is a career with a high degree of autonomy, which requires specific knowledge and a specific degree to succeed, and further, can provide an individual with a high degree of fulfillment, which is important to me. Having had jobs and careers in the past that I did not particularly care for (other than the paycheck) I can tell you that it’s a miserable existence working day-after-day at a job or position that you loathe. I have undertaken a very difficult and expensive path in order to accomplish this and be able to provide for my young daughter.

2) While I respect your opinion, I don’t believe that the .35W is “clearly inferior” to the 9.3x62. Granted, the 9.3x62 is an excellent caliber and can handle heavier bullets, but I think they are in the same class and any ballistic difference is negligible. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am still interested in this caliber and I certainly do like the CZ 550 carbine, which is still in contention and which is likely a more logical choice. The main reason the .35W is my first choice is due to the fact that it is .30-06 based and ammunition and components are plentiful – more so than the 9.3x62. I have also seen several .35W factory loads that would easily meet my needs, such as the Buffalo Bore TSX 225gr. Supercharged and the Nosler Partition 250, gr., just to name 2 of the many offerings.

3) Regarding your statement that there is “no shortage of .35 Whelens for sale,” the only CRF factory .35Ws I have seen for sale in current production are the Montana Rifle Co. AVR or V2. I have also seen a few used M77s and Hawkeyes in .35W, but I believe they are now out of production. If you know of other factory CRF .35W rifles for sale that I have not considered, please let me know.

4) No need to wait to find out about the scope. I will use a Leupold VX-6 1-6x24 or a VX-3i 1.5-5x20mm with Talley Q/D rings.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/26/16.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue