Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by K22
I finally couldn't stand just looking and ordered a CZ 457 American in 22lr. I've heard a lot of great things about the 457 and decided I needed to find out for myself. I've already ordered some parts to help the rifle out. Different trigger spring, although I have Wolf spring kits I normally use for triggers, an extra used trigger to play with, a steel cocking indicator, and some upgraded screws. I'm sure I'll replace the plastic pillars with aluminum ones we use in the shop, and of course a bedding job.
Next will be a Varmint stock unless I can find a 17HM2 sporter barrel.
So, who to blame for this addiction. Not me of course. bsa?, Penndog? Drover? and a host of others. shocked wink

Bwahahahahaha. I was happy to see this thread. Cant wait to hear how she does for you. Did you get the heavy barrel, or the sporter? Either way, I think you will have a great rifle. I've been wanting to go this route for a while, but never could do it. Started to read about bolt shims, barrel shims, this and that. I should probably just buy one because I like to tinker. I know you will give us an honest report on this one. Keep us posted buddy!!!

I thought I could resist but I'm to weak. LOL
No, no heavy barrel for me. I find it more fun to get a sporter weight to shoot right along with a heavy barrel. I was shocked that no one offers a sporter weight in 17HM2, so I'll have to make one. Geesh! I would like to return one of my Sako's that's running a 17HM2 barrel back to a 22lr. so I'll be turning the CZ into a 17HM2 at some point, well, at least that's the plan.

MT DD FAN,
Those 452's do shoot very good but man, they have 3 strikes against them in my book. A 90degree bolt throw, a safety that goes the wrong way, and a trigger that looks very similar to the chinese SKS trigger.
I had one in 22mag. several years ago. Changed the trigger to a Timney, pillar bedded the action and a couple of other small improvements, all before I shot it. What a stupid mistake that was on my part. It wouldn't feed. Tried different magazines.....nada, adjusted the mag. follower, nada, so off to CZ it went. Now the 2 main reasons I bought it was 1. I needed a 22mag for Coyote to fill in for my 164M Anschutz and 2. the stock was a beautiful tiger stripe.
Got the rifle back from CZ and the first thing I noticed was it looked like they dragged the stock across a cement floor, plus they ramped the back of the barrel to get it feed. It's a rimfire. Hell I could have ramped it with a dremel myself. Anyway, they would not take care of the stock nor replace the barrel. I traded it even up for an old Browning A Bolt 22 mag. that was rusted from one end to the other and the stock was scratched up. Swore off of CZ's from that point on.

Here's a picture of it before I even shot it. LOL

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]