Originally Posted by pavementends
As best I remember we were getting out butts kicked by the Russians in the Olympic small bore competition. The Russians were picking up all their brass. One of our shooters managed to snag a couple of fired rounds and Federal analized the brass and produced the Gold Medal Match ammo. The dimple in the base was supposed to aid in the priming compound being spread equally around the rim.
It was the most accurate ammunition I ever fired in my 40x and several other rifles. Again relying on an old mans memory Federal got sued and had to stop making it. It is indeed good stuff.

Oh dang. That explains a lot. I was reading where it was cost related as well. As the brass required more steps, because it is dimpled in the middle. Seems like a great concept though, to get the priming mix more evenly around the rim of the cartridge where it's actually needed. I really wish I had more of the dang stuff. I know this is a CZ thread, but I recently bought an old Winchester model 320 bolt action, and that rifle also loves that old Federal Gold Medal match:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now, that damn rifle really impressed me. Almost as smooth functioning as my new CZ 457 American, but cost much less, and appears to be shooting more consistently:

Weather was crap at the range, but I still went out and shot the new to me rifle.

I'll get back to messing around with the CZ 457 American, as that is the rifle I've been wanting for the last couple years. However, if it came down to getting rid of the Winchester vs. the CZ, I'd keep the Winchester. Not to muddy the CZ 457 thread, but that is my feeling when comparing the accuracy between the 2. 2 damn good rifles from different era's that offer a lot for the money. But at the moment, the new to me Winchester 320 checks more boxes for me.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA