Originally Posted by MikeS
As we know, every rifle is different. My 52C based silhouette rifle preferred RWS R50 by a large margin over that dimpled Gold Medal ammo when I shot both back in the 90s. Fortunately the old blue box Remington standard velocity ammo shot nearly as well as the R50 and was very usable for practice. Wish I still had that rifle. Sold it to fellow Campfire member from Arizona, Thomas Magnum, many years ago.

Yes, we know every rifle is different. But to find an ammo that works very well in every rifle you've tried it in, speaks very highly of that ammo. It's obvious that some guys think a certain ammo should work well in these CZ's, for example. The fact that mine hates the RWS really hits a nerve with some. As soon as I find some RWS 50, I'll try that in my rifle. That RWS that I recently found is very old. There may actually be an issue with that ammo. When I shoot it, I can hear a difference in report from shot to shot. That says a lot right there, as well. I remember trying some RWS semi auto in one of my new 10/22 clones, and that dang rifle loved it. I wish I still had some of that to try in my new CZ. You can tell when a rifle hates a certain ammo. Trying different torque settings, for example, just to get one type of ammo to shoot well, is futile at best. Sorry to say.

There's a reason I started a thread on which ammo shot the most consistently in our rifles. Keeping in mind, that it isn't always the most expensive ammo that shoots the best. That's why we test as many different kinds of ammo as we can in these rimfires.

Another ammo that shot extremely well in all of my rifles was the Eley Club Xtra.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Also, some older SK match gold was excellent. Even though the lube had all but dried up:

Wolf match target seems to be very consistent. Where some of the Wolf Match Extra seems to get a lot of fliers. A consistent ammo is a godsend. The ones that get many/any fliers should only be used for practice, and not for shooting any matches. Some rifles, I could grab a box of Federal Automatch and do well enough. Probably like you did with the old blue box Remington. I actually found a few boxes of the old blue box Remington "target" ammo last month. One brick in Reno, and another couple bricks in town. That ammo I found was made in the late 80's. After reading some reviews, I decided not to buy it.

Norma Tac22 is loved by many, but I've found that to be so damn inconsistent in some of my rifles, that it's not even used for practice!!!
Savage MK2 FVT:

New to me stainless 10/22 clone:

I almost threw a few boxes right in the trashcan, a while back. But after shooting it in my new Winchester 320 today, I'll keep it around just to shoot it in that rifle. That's the thing about these dang rimfires: You just never know what they are going to like, and nothing is written in stone. If it is, please show me where that is!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA