Someone in another thread mentioned how the longer barrel of the American adds balance to the short receiver and they weren't wrong. It's really a good feeling rifle when shouldered, not nearly as muzzle heavy as their Varmint model and the pistol grip is more hand filling. This might be a bit heretical but it feels better to me than my old Kimber of OR Model 82.

Mine isn't as accurate across multiple brands of ammo as a 20" Tikka T1x but with the stuff it likes it shoots right along with it. The Tikka will shoot most brands a tenth or two better but with the ammo it liked - Federal Automatch of all things - the American actually shaded the best group of the T1x by a few hundredths. It's not a bench rest competitor but isn't meant to be, and we're still talking 10 shots at 50 yards around a half inch for most ammo, .3's or .4's with the favorites.

The only thing I changed on mine was putting in a lighter trigger return spring but the easy change barrel offers all sorts of opportunities in that area.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!