Originally Posted by PennDog
BSA…….very nice - both rifle and shooting BUT I can’t believe I read it right……you TRADED the Savage?? I don’t think I would have ever parted with that one!! A couple of rifles I’ve shot recently really liked the Federal Gold Medal ammo (711b)…..may have to get some more of that?!

FWIW just lighted the trigger on my buddies 457 from 2.5 pounds (lowest I could adjust on stock trigger) to 12 ounces with a CZ457 spring kit. My friend only shoots the informal local matches with it so he was looking for a lighter pull. Very easy to do and was “safe” (i.e. passed bump test). There was a heavier spring in the “kit” but he wanted as light as possible.

PennDog

Thanks PennDog. Good info on the spring. I was thinking about those spring kits the other day, and told myself if I could not get the trigger down to a useable weight, I'd get one. Generally if I can get a trigger adjusted down to where my hunting rifles are set, I'm pretty happy. Those are generally set at 2.5 pounds, and very nice. Sometimes I'll set them to 2 pounds, on a really lightweight rifle, or a range toy.

Yes, I will miss the Savage, but she gave me $25.00 less for it than I originally paid for it brand new. When I brought it in, I brought in 4 targets, 2 from recently when I was shooting it scoped. 10 shots in the .3's, and 2 targets from shooting it with the irons on it. Those 10 shot groups were from .3-.6". I still have my MK 1 FVT single shot in the laminate stock. It's set up just like the MK II FVT was, but a little nicer. The MK II was worth more money though, since it was clip fed.

She had her husband look the rifle over, and he told her it looked like brand new. They were very fair people to deal with.

As for the Federal Gold Medal Match ammo I shot. That stuff shoots very well in my Kidd barreled Ruger 10/22. Generally groups are in the .3's, with that rifle and ammo. I don't like to waste it, as I'll never find anymore of that stuff. It was made in 1992, so it's older ammo. I'm actually happy the new rifle shoots the cheap stuff well, as well as the bulk pack hollow point ammo. That's one criteria I look for, when I look for a good 22lr rifle. However, generally those are the ones that are said to have sloppy tolerances. I'm not sure if that is true or not, but I always love it when a rifle shoots Federal Automatch and American Eagle h.p's well right out of the box. As for the CCI standard velocity "target" ammo, that has really been hit and miss with everything I've tried it in. I know guys rave about how it does. The only rifle that really loved it was my Savage MK II FVT that I just traded. I might just take the few boxes I have left and give it to the nice lady that I traded my Savage to. I think her husband wanted for himself. He said he loves the aperture sights and that you don't ever see them anymore.

As for the rifle and it's precision, in the back of my mind I'm wondering how it would shoot with an epoxy pad out toward the forend. IE: non freefloated, or barrel bedded? Wondering if anyone has messed with that on a CZ? On the other hand, I'm just happy it's not throwing weird fliers. I'm looking forward to working with this rifle a little more, but don't want to shim the bolt or get crazy with it, like needlessly installing a Lilja or something like that.

I also look forward to hearing how K22's rifle shoots. Maybe he can throw in some 10 shot groups, and tell us what ammo works best for him. I'd appreciate that!!! I need to get some more SK match ammo of some sort, or even some Eley target ammo. I've also had very good luck with Norma match ammo in multiple rifles. I'm very limited on my match grade 22lr ammo at the moment.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA