Originally Posted by Namuh
Originally Posted by K22
Originally Posted by Namuh
[Linked Image]

I shot 20 5 shot groups today, mostly at 25yds, I reset my trigger down from 2lbs 2oz to 1lb 14oz, it was as low as I could safely get it without it slam firing. Here’s a pic of one group I shot at 50yds, surprised the heck out of me. The next group opened up to about four inches and I said, “yah, that’s more like my shooting” then I notice the scope had moved about a quarter inch in the rings. I’m going to pony up and get a new scope and rings for it and I do think a change in the stock finish is in it’s future.

Nice shooting. It sure looks to have promise.
Did you check the trigger pull weight out of the stock and then torqued down in the stock?
Many, including mine, are showing a lighter pull weight after reinstalling the barreled action in the stock. I haven't dug into mine yet to see if it's the trigger housing hitting somewhere or if the action is binding.

Thank you but it really was all luck on that one. It’s not a target rifle but it should have plenty of accuracy for hunting and I’d like to keep the gun as light as possible, hopefully under 7 1/2 pounds all in.

Yes, I originally set the trigger pull with the barreled action out of the stock and then remeasured it again after I put it back together, I safety checked for slam fires and then hitting the butt stock on the floor, I couldn’t dislodge the sear. I currently have both my action screws torque down to 20lbs and I know that changing the torque can effect accuracy but I didn’t try torquing them down any further. I believe the manual says 31lbs for the action screws if the conversion calculator I used was correct. When I reset the trigger pull the second time down to 1lb 14oz, I left the action in the stock and only adjusted the screw that can reach from inside the trigger guide, screw C in the manual. I may be able to get the pull down a little further if I take the action back out and try adjusting all three screws again, but for hunting it’s pretty light and I’ll probably increase it back up when I actually take it out. Also torquing down the action will definitely be a possibility if it improves accuracy once I decide what scope and rings I’ll be putting on it. Right now I just wanted to see inherently how accurate it was and not a lemon right out of the box.

Gotta hate those dang fliers. That group looks promising, but with the scope moving a "1/4" in the rings, as you say, it should be off more than that. And groups would go to hell, like you said (4 times bigger), if not even more. Loose or improper scope rings do nothing to assure consistent precision. Hopefully you get that sorted out, and post some one holers.

One thing about this thread, is it's been an eye opener and filled with good info!! Kind of prepares a guy, before taking the plunge into getting one of these rifles. Nothing too major, but things that may need to be checked and addressed when buying one.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA