Originally Posted by drover
Well, no 457 for me. I took a look at the one at the farm store and the buttstock had so many dings on it that I did not even consider it. Some of them had been hard enough that they were through the mud color stain and was showing the unstained wood underneath. I thought of making a lesser offer on it but I don't really taking on a new rifle as a project refinish.
What really bothered me was that as the salesman was putting it back in the rack he managed to hit the buttstock on the barrels of two other rifles and likely put another couple of dings in it.

drover

The first ones I saw when they came out were, as you say, muddy-looking, too dark, and unevenly finished. I went with an MTR, purchased online from a dealer who posted numerous clear photos of it from multiple angles, so I knew exactly what I was buying. Later, I converted it to a Premium with take-off parts I found on GB, and sold the MTR fittings locally. The MTR, Premium, and Royal have oil-finished stocks that are much nicer, if the style doesn’t put you off. I’m very pleased with my switcheroo. The stock has a grip swell, decent Turkish walnut you can actually see, and the silly logo they insist on stamping into the stock is located inside the checkering panel, so less noticeable and objectionable. Shoots very well too.

Be aware that ones with irons may require the removal of the rear sight ladder for mounting most scopes. I had a tiny Burris 6xAO that fits perfectly.

[Linked Image]

What fresh Hell is this?