Originally Posted by derby_dude
Originally Posted by goodnews
Derby,

A couple of questions:

Why if you are not a Christian now do you assume you ever were?

By what standard are all Christians afraid of death?

What is this "other realm" after death you believe in and what is your authority for it? This "other realm"-is it for eternity? What goes? Your soul or....do you have a soul? If for eternity do you think it's "no big deal?"

And, why do you raise the question-thread-at all? For an accountant who lives in the world of irrepresable mathematical figures, you are "hopin' and pokin'" my friend.

Gdv

I thought I was a Christian because I was brought up in a Roman Catholic home with all that entails. In my teens I begin to realize something was wrong and hence begun my spiritual path quest. I was never a Christian.

I think Barak explained you second question better than I could.

As to third question, no authority. My intuition tells me I just know. Thomas Paine talked about intuition some in his book the "Age of Reason". He said it was the best way to know. I agree.

Geesh, you mean a tax accountant can't be a philosopher? A lot more thinking goes into tax law than meets the eye. Ask Bob or Steve or any of the other lawyers on here. They are philosophers by default if for no other reason.

No criticism Derby. Just the odd-couple juxtaposition of the rigid laws of mathematics on one hand to balance the earthly books and Paine's (or your intuition) on the other settle eternity's question (also a "balancing of the books" as it were). I would be very carefull about agreeing with Paine so quickly on this question. I have no questions about your ability as a philosopher or that of anyone else here; I would say my experience is more along the lines of Augustine in that once so lost, now having been found, joy is my dependable companion (not always happiness).

As has been mentioned, God is a personal God as is my relationship with Him; I know He's there as I know oxygen is in the air I breath. Permit me a couple of Biblical references if you would: Romans 8:16, "The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit tht we are God's children." I Cor 2:9, "However, as it is written: 'No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him'- but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit."

The spiritual conundrum and experience put forth here is one doesn't know the truth until he first believes (faith) the truth; then it is confirmed to him. God does things a little differently. That is my and all other true Christian's reality.

Many grow up as cultural Christians without the personal relationship but that can change.

Hope Yours is a Great Week,

gdv