Originally Posted by BCBrian
For me - I'd need to see something "Godly", you know, things like he was supposedly showing people 2000 years ago.

A bush popping into fire, rotting dead men coming back to life, a man turning to salt, a world where nothing died, a sea parting, an angel - that kind of thing.

It's all very well to say that, but if you'll forgive me, I don't believe you.

First of all, I don't think you're as open-minded as all that. If you were to witness a burning bush, or Jesus raising the dead or parting a sea, I don't think you'd fall to your knees and gasp, "My Lord and my God!" I think you'd scratch your chin and say, "Hmm. Now how'd he do that? Obviously there's got to be a trick to it somewhere, just like there was when David Copperfield made the Statue of Liberty disappear!"

And on the other hand, I don't think you're as skeptical as all that. I'll bet you believe a lot of things that you've never seen proven. For example, you probably believe that the Apollo astronauts walked on the moon. You probably believe the Earth is round. You probably believe the Sun is a big ball of gas lit by the fusion of hydrogen into helium. You probably believe a 757 crashed into the Pentagon on 9/11/2001. But you accept all those things on faith, because none of them have been proven to you. (Probably not very many could be.)

Far be it from me to say what you must or must not believe: that's your business. But it is your business: your beliefs and lacks of belief are your own choices, not some involuntary prison you find yourself in because you're condemned to be less credulous than the common man.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867