Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by goodnews
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Originally Posted by BCBrian
The Bible is in TOTAL contradiction to the fossil record . . . .

Maybe the fossil record is wrong. It was put together by a man. blush

Brian-

A good share of the "missing links" have been proven to be outright frauds or misinterpreted. The ubiquitous illustration in many of the biology texts we grew up with showing an amorphic blob of life, changing in stages through reptilian, early mammal, and finally to homo erectus was admitted to be a fraud years ago. Just a few examples of trying to put forth a dogma.
The only thing I can remember from my biology text books when I was a kid that even remotely resembles what you're talking about was that illustration of how ontology recapitulates phylogeny. Is that what you are talking about?

[Linked Image]

You have to wonder, if all those species didn't have a common ancestor, why they start out looking almost identical. In fact all of them have gill slits at an early stage. In fish and amphibians, they become gills, but for the rest, they just fade away. Now why would a pig or a man need gill slits?

That's not the illustration. It was in the bio books circa the 60's. It had only about 5 steps beginning with some type of embryo IIRC, the last was modern man, and the one before was an ape. These were huge, presumptive steps, one to the other, the result of someone's imagination.

Gdv