Originally Posted by 257_Roy
I can hear the Judge now, "Alright Carl, you've been convicted. Now since your a first timer, we'll give you the choice of 5 years hard labor, or we can call Penny in to tell you she's disappointed."

Carl-"Give me the 5 years, Boss."

That's about it... Those guys would rather cut off their right arm than have me disappointed in them. For many of them, it's the first time anyone has actually cared about them, treated them decently, and respected them. They most certainly do not want to disappoint that person!

I had a guy from my class who was released on parole. He showed up for a few weeks at the ex-offender ministry that Barak and I do on Saturday evenings. He got two jobs and a place to live. It seemed to me that he had it made. But then he picked up a woman one evening, stole her purse and her car, and took off.

Of course, they caught him... parole violation (big time), back in the slammer. It took him probably a month before he could bring himself to come to the education area and look me in the face. He's still ashamed of what he did.

But some guys simply are happier inside where decisions are made for them... they've been in so long they're institutionalized.

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1