Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Yeah, Don.. Moss agate!

Had found a couple of nice points out of that stuff. They are rare and more valuable!

Barry,

There’s also a variety of moss Agate that came off the old Woodard ranch south of Alpine Tx. I was there once in 1965. Dad used to agate hunt there a bunch when I was a little kid. Seem to remember them calling theirs "plume" agate.

That's some pretty stuff!

After doing some more research I think what Don has is THIS stuff...

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Dendritic+agate&FORM=HDRSC2

The branching patterns in that agate resembles the branching growth patterns herples simplex causes in blinding by scarring "dendritic corneal ulcers" if not treated with toxic antivirals quickly enough, Barry.

I get depressed every time i look at this thread. Dayom id like to find some nice points like yall have tons of.

I found most of mine as a kid, digging through pea gravel loads from creekbeds in east Tx or in the boonies of W Texas around Big Springs.

I found a few in mts of NM archery hunting but i got too tall to see the small ones. My wife has found several around Independance Creek that flows into the pecos river. The Indians camped in the Independance Creek valley around a big set called Caroline Springs which years ago produced 9 million gallons a day.

A patient owned the ranch for years before selling it to the Texas Nature Conservancy.

Huge areas of flat rock the springs flowed of at places have many round holes worn down in the rock from eons of grain grinding.

Last edited by jaguartx; 04/15/18.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin