OK. Most know I'm more of a lazy cheater than a pot hunter, and my collection is pretty much self fabricated

Had considerable time available in the last couple weeks, so I sat in front of the garage and hammered out about 50 points mostly from obsidian. On our most recent fishing trip though, Cookie and I were walking an abandoned railway and found a couple shards of old glass about 1/4 inch thick. Dug out the smaller of the two this morning and set to work trying to bang out a point. Biggest chore was hammering off the square edges. Took about 2 1/2 hours to work it down, as I wanted to minimize breakage risk. OK work, but I could not get pressure flakes to travel as far as desired.

Just suspended it by our back door with monofilament and snapped a couple pics. I wanted it backed by nothing but the sky, but was too lazy to dig out a step ladder for the needed height. That being, not quite the artistic composition I envisioned.

[Linked Image]

Right at 4 1/4 inches tip to base.

We picked up some rocks last weekend north of town, and some of my obsidian points exhibit almost that same degree of transparency. Will try to get a similar pic of some of those in a day or two. A relaxing and cheap hobby, as the rocks are free and one can think of nothing else while working one up.

Have good one,

Last edited by 1minute; 09/29/18.

1Minute