It is pretty amazing to think about the travel and trade that took place back then. Flint sources are pretty scarce in this part of the country, Alibates quarry is the closest and is a 7 hour drive from here at 70mph. The closest obsidian is lord knows how far and we find stuff made out of it occasionally too. We do have agate nodules out in the hills here and find some stuff made out of it pretty regularly. Dad found the cutest little bitty square thumb scraper, about 3/4” square, that looks like it could possibly be amber may just be a yellow orange agate but it’s the right color and texture.

Most of what we find is the little Christmas tree Washitas and triangle points with the one area holding a decent amount of bigger older stuff. We almost never find large tools like we do out west. No axes, hoes, hammers,grindstones or bowls. I found an outstanding arrow straightener one year out west, approx 2 1/2”x 2”x4 1/2” with two parallel grooves in the top worn absolutely glass smooth. All of the sides are convex and perfectly matched, looks like a tiny loaf of bread with two grooves in the top.

In the site the buffalo skull came from we’ve found probably 40 other skulls in various states of brokenness. I’ve also found what I’m certain are grizzly bear teeth. Haven’t been grizzlies in Oklahoma for a good while now.

I must be getting old as aside from hunting and fishing, looking for arrowheads and metal detecting are fast becoming my favorite hobbies.