erikj:

Do you end up selling your creations?

It's just and hobby, and I've never directly sold a single point. Do shadow box a couple now and then as donations to our Hunter Ed program or Rod and Gun Club fund raisers. Usually go for 125 to $200 at auction, but that's an environment where there might be 200 to 300 bidders around, and there's usually at least two that are interested. Boxed a few up and dispersed them as cheap Christmas gifts to the family and in laws last Christmas. Shadow boxes are only 5 or $6. A lot cheaper than the typical Hickory Farms food basket.

I'm aware of a couple locals that generate some huge and exceptionally well flaked knives and points. They start, however, with rock sawed slabs cut to shape and that facilitates systematic and near perfect herring bone flaking. Likely the guy at this link starts with sawed slabs ( Points for sale link (just an example and not affiliated with that site in any way)). I just start with a rock and hammer them out. About 90% of the effort is percussion flaking to clean up the surfaces, thin and shape, and then some pressure flaking to straighten the edges and chip out notches.

Cookie is tiring of the accumulation and suggesting I box some up and do a run to some high dollar craft fair. Did have a gentleman recently express interest in purchasing some for resale in a nearby tourist mecca. I quoted $15 an inch and he never blinked, but I've not gotten back to him. Then again, if it became a business, such might just ruin a relaxing hobby. Same goes for fly tying, rod building, stock making, and Cookie's photo efforts. Life is comfortable for us as we're retired, not stressed for funds, and live at our own pace.

Have a good one,

Last edited by 1minute; 08/08/20.

1Minute