Originally Posted by slumlord
Correct!

The artifacts that myself and renegade50 no longer post pics of are late paleo to middle archaic to late-archaic periods. All darts, blade, atl-atl points. 3500bc- to 9000BC.

But some of the Big Sandy side-notch points and smaller Kirks c.n. are in the 'small' to 1" range. Those were slung not with a bow. They were used on eastern buffalo, elk, possibly ground sloth, deer, and other Halocene fauna. Mega-fauna were practically zero'd out by tail end of the post glacial p.

It's believed the bow wasnt adapted/discovered/adopted till about 800 AD.

My thoughts are that outside of ceremonial pieces from the Mississippian Era peoples, everyday flint fare from that period is simply ho-hum at best.

When people find out that I knap arrowheads, they always want to show me the one they just found. I appreciate seeing all the found points because I can learn something from every one, but most don't believe me when I tell them that what they found isn't an arrowhead. I see where mistakes were made that I have made thousands of times myself and where faults in the stone caused problems for the knapper that had to be frustrating.

Those guys were mostly making tools that just needed to be serviceable and I imagine that it didn't take them long to knock one out. Seems most people that show me a point ask if I can beat that point. I can, but that native american didn't know we were in a race and he didn't have the materials to work with that I have either. I'd hate to go toe to toe with one of those guys using his tools and materials. He would beat me like a rented mule.

Slumlord, I've watched your posts and the pictures you show of the points on the ground prior to picking them up are fascinating. I'd never think to take a picture, I'd just grab it! I don't know where in TN you hunt, but in some of the pictures the land looks a lot like the soil a cousin of mine has on his place near the Harpeth River just outside Franklin. He wouldn't know an artifact if he stepped on it and it stuck in his foot. I've been wanting to go up and see if I can find a some of the grey stone used in that area.

Harry