Originally Posted by OldHat
I'm a Christian trained in science and I realize, fully, that the hydrological cycle as we know it exists does not support the idea that a flood could have covered the entire land mass of the planet. There is simply not enough physical water on the planet to do it, and the amount required is far beyond anything that could be jettisoned through natural means.

So either ...
1) There was a miracle by God to accomplish the flood. (I fully accept miracles. For example, I don't doubt for a second that Christ was raised from the dead).
2) The Noah story is allegorical.

I'm okay with either explanation. I don't know, and I honestly don't understand the Noah account. I can live with this small uncertainty.

The bottom line is that there is such an enormous amount of solid rational evidence that I don't doubt for a minute in the existence of the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and that he is who he says He is. I literally have no doubts about His existence and that the world is raging a battle of spiritual turmoil for the hearts and souls of men.

One of the few cogent posts here. I believe the flood was a real event as as the Hebrew narrative of Genesis is of the historical genre and for just one other reason, Noah and other OT saints were mentioned in the NT as actual real persons.

The flood I believe was a completely supernatural event changing the environment completely from pre-diluvian times (for example, with an ensuing ice age), perhaps radiation decay rates also (which would play havoc with our radiometric dating methods of today) as well as allowing increased atmospheric radiation and certainly causing extreme climate change (perhaps Al Gore meant from then?). Undoubtedly, there were many other changes also.

And yes, I’d like to reiterate your statement that “there is such an enormous amount of solid rational evidence” for what we are discussing.