Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by FreeMe

Ack. Now you're just being argumentative..

No, I am just pointing out how you contradict yourself.

people who contradict themselves are actually arguing with themselves.

. I'm just speculating on the possibilities..

saying that its 'safe to assume' things doesn't equate to just speculation.

speculation is just conjecture.
safe to assume means a person is confident in their theory.

Not contradicting myself at all. The contradiction is in your mind. I blew off your comment about tar because it's obvious that you're trying to direct the discussion away from the point now. Since you seem to be hung up on that, I'll comment. Tar is not necessary in all boat construction - even for "primitives". Your assumption that one without the knowledge of the use of tar could not be familiar with small boat design is in error.

As for your "speculation" charge....you are deliberately attaching that to the wrong issue. I reiterate...

Makes no difference to me whether Noah had the knowledge, was given the knowledge, hired the knowledge or figured it out on his own. I'm just speculating on the possibilities.

Those two sentences are together for a reason. The one is referring to the other. I can only speculate where some of the knowledge (best shape for a boat) might have come from - because there are multiple possibilities. The assumption that you seem to be defending here is one of God necessarily being the source of every detail. That is simply not supported by the information available.

Whatever....your post was split so much, I chose not to address ever separate question.Now I will, since I have more time. But you'll have to bare with me because I ain't gonna do the fine editing. My answers in color....

Originally Posted by Starman

No doubt, Noah or anybody would have needed instruction on materials and other things for something that size...

anybody?...you mean everyone was ignorant regarding building ships in those times?

I mean, everyone was likely ignorant regarding building vessels of large size, yes. What would have been the purpose of any large vessels up to that time, given what we know/assume?

Do Arks require different timber to other various size ranging vessels that you say Noah would have already known about?
( check: you were referring to Noah when you said it aint rocket science for....'Anyone who's 'been around various boats'.....??)

Obviously, a vessel that size would require different timber than a small vessel could get away with. Why would anyone default to heavier materiel than necessary for a small boat? Wood may not have even been the primary material.

Was pitching-taring hulls exclusive to Arks....??.... Noah over centuries [of being around boats]
would have seen numbers of various size vessels that had been tared...?

I wouldn't say it's exclusive to an Ark. But, as mentioned, I wouldn't assume that there was any need at the time for a large vessel that required such construction before the Ark.

I think it's safe to assume that Noah had knowledge of proper boat construction. .

but not 'materials and other things' required for proper boat construction?
that sounds illogical.

Again...we're talking about a shape. Construction materials and some other things can be very much size-related.

...Size matters....

...Again, it's the shape of the hull I am focusing on. .

I am using LOGIC [which you made a point of] when I said; If Noah doesn't even know to tar a hull how would he
then know which geometry of hull to use?

If he's was suppopsedly around various type vessels for centuries how can he know one, but not the other?
after all, none of that ranks as rocket science as you say.

See above.

. And I'm going to assume that God allows some logic to be applied.

The fact God didnt tell him which hull design to use, does not logically mean Noah already knew.
It could just mean God knew that Noah of his own accord, would have the intelligence to seek out
those experienced shipwrights that did.

God knew precisely what he knew and didn't know before issuing the task.

I don't think I said anything to contradict that. If I did, it was in error. OTOH - we don't know precisely what God told Noah. We can only make conjecture based on what is written and our assumptions.

I also think it's reasonable to expect that they could know a rounded and faired hull wouldn't get slapped around
like a flat bottom and flat side, and would be stronger as well. It ain't rocket science - for anyone who's been around various boats.

Again you expect Noah to already know about the correct hull design , but not something as basic as taring.
that seems rather illogical.

Again - see above.

Regardless of all that.....if God did, in fact, give Noah et al a "blueprint", you still have a long way to go to convince me that He would have Noah build a torture box just to be size-efficient. Boats are designed with logic, which is often revealed by experience. I would advise for you the same search I mentioned to another poster - "sea kindly". It is a thing.

Edit:...and I would further suggest that God would fully understand the physics of moving water and interaction with surfaces and angles, as well as requirements for structural integrity, and he would take that into account when deciding what Noah needed to know or who he needed to hire.

Last edited by FreeMe; 07/18/18.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.