Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Have also heard from others who have used the Speer on big game that it's considerably softer than the 286 Hornady--which is what my "media" tests show, whether both are loaded to "traditional" velocities or somewhat faster. Of course, core hardness and jacket variations from lot to lot can make considerable difference in cup-and-core expansion and penetration.

Which is why I generally bypass the entire problem by avoiding using cup-and-core bullets on larger game. I mean, how many damn moose or elk or "big" bears do we shoot a year? Is the difference in price between a box of C&C's and a box of Barnes TSX's, Norma Oryxes or Nosler Partitions going to make a difference in whether we can afford to to go hunting?

You nailed it, John.

I remember guys in new uber-trucks, pulling many feet of Airstreams that would roar up to the store and ask for a box of the cheapest 30-06/300Win/7Mag ammo we had, as they headed to Colorado or New Mexico, going on guided elk hunts.

Go figure.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”