Alan,

Yep, that was my data.

I never had that particular load pressure-tested.

I did have the load of 62.0 grains of Reloder 15 and a 250-grain pressure-tested, and it got around 60,000 psi. I used that powder charge with 250's for a while, but one day when I was getting ready to go on a hunt in South Africa my supply of RL-15 was a little low. There wasn't any available locally, or time to order any.

I've always gotten good results with Varget, which is normally just slightly faster than RL-15, so tried Nosler's data, starting with the maximum load (56.5 grains) because they stick to older pressure standards of well under 60,000 psi. As I recall the initial test loads went up to 59 grains or so, and all shot sub-MOA for 3-shot groups at 100 yards, normaly for my rifle with about any load.

The muzzle velocity of my pressure-tested 62.0 RL-15 load was around 2650 fps, and the top load of Varget didn't get there. So I did a little calculating and figured 60.5 grains would result in 2650 or so. (This is easily done with single-based powders like Varget because velocity increases at the same rate as the powder charge.)

60.5 grains also shot into less than an inch and muzzle velocity was right around 2650. I loaded up 50 rounds of ammo and took it to Africa, and have used that load with 250's ever since. It never has shown the slightest indication of high pressure, even at 90-degree temperatures, and I would bet an 8-pound jug of Varget that it gets right around 60,000 psi.

I noticed in one of your previous posts that you use 65 or 66 grains Big Game with 286's. Where did you come up with that load?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck