Originally Posted by LowBC
Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for your responses. Is there a preference for any particular bullet weight? I read in my Nosler No.5 manual that the fella reckons it has a range of 180 yards...the trajectory of a 250 sure doesn't look like that.

Any thoughts?

I would agree - there is no way in the world the 9.3x62 is limited to 180 yards. Clearly with an AB with a BC of .5, and starting at 2600 fps it is good for a long way out. The references to it as a short range cartridge are due to its original intent in Africa, throwing very heavy bullets at very moderate velocities. As Mule Deer suggests, the 9.3x62 now makes a very good alternative to a 338 Win Mag loaded with heavier bullets. The 338 Win Mag only has a significant ballistic advantage out beyond 300yards, and are you really going the be using your rifle at those ranges? For most applications of the 9.3x62 and .338 Win Mag, i'd suggest not. The 9.3x62 is the more efficient cartridge at the ranges most of us actually hunt at. The .338 though remains a more versatile cartridge.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums