I recently got a 9.3x62, but I have not hunted with it yet. The local game is almost entirely white tails. I am aware that the 9.3x62 is way overkill for white tails. I still intend to take it out at least once this season, since the Husqvarna I got handles like a dream and shoots pretty well even with a truly terrible batch of Hornady factory ammo (seriously, no two bullets in any given box are even seated to the same depth, but I am still getting 1.5 inch 5-shot groups at 100 yards). But, down the road, I would love to try for elk and moose. I am curious what bullets are most effective for these animals out to say 400 yards. I am particularly intrigued by the 250-grain and lighter bullets.

What are some good suggestions? Assume that for the past 35 years I have been killing white tails with the same old rifles (.257 Roberts, .25-06, .270, 30-06) and haven't followed "the latest hotness" when it comes to anything. My "go-to" bullet for the past 30 years has been the Sierra Gameking, which has always been more than adequate for deer. Someone gave me a box of Nosler ballistic tips for my .25-06 about 20 years ago, but I never bothered to load them up since the other bullets were doing just fine. But, when I get the opportunity to go elk or moose hunting, I think I would want a "better" bullet to ensure the best possible outcome to what would probably be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I've never had a need to consider a "premium" bullet before. But, since I picked up this 9.3x62, I would like to use it and get the "practical most" out of it. By that, I mean I am not looking to push the outside of the envelope. I want to work up a load that shoots well and whose limits I understand.

I have a large supply of the 270-grain Speer semi-spitzers (which we have used on white tails for years in my dad's 9.3x74R drilling - but which is unlikely to ever again leave the safe since someone finally bothered to tell my dad what his Luftwaffe drilling is worth). I currently have plenty of 285/286 grain factory loads, since I bought a couple of hundred rounds of factory ammo because the price was cheaper than empty brass - but, as mentioned, the quality control is really bad. I am currently considering pulling them and then reloading them to uniform depths. Or I may just use them on white tails in my woods, where most shots will be within 100 yards and a long shot would be about 200 yards.

I wanted to get some 250-grain Nosler Accubonds, since some of the old posts here praised them, but I cannot find any available. What about the Nosler E-Tip?

How well do the Barnes TSX and TTSX perform? What's the "real" difference between them? All I can see is that one is a boat tail. Is one a better choice than the other for my desired game?

I am also intrigued by the 200-grain Cutting Edge bullets. Anyone have experience with them?

Any other options I should consider?

Edit - if someone has current loads and "probably the best powder" for their recommended bullets, I'm interested in that as well. Understanding of course, basic precepts of "safe" reloading and etc.

Last edited by Q_Sertorius; 04/09/24.