Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Gee, I never would have guessed that "with more speed comes more recoil."

I started hunting with the 9.3x62 over 20 years ago, and have never owned one that wasn't made of "newer more robust (better steel)". But the original rifles were also made of pretty good steel, as Otto Bock didn't introduce it until 1905.

Just a guess, but maybe you don't know it was specifically designed for use in the standard K98 Mauser action, which was always made of the best steels--and even back then the German steels were very good. While the original factory ammunition got a claimed 2150 fps with 286-grain bullets, that relatively slow velocity was mostly due to the existing powders, which were all relatively fast-burning and temperature sensitive. It wasn't until after World War I that, thanks to better powders, the factory 286-grain velocity was increased to around 2360 fps--which is where it remains today, despite even better powders.

The loads I developed were pressure-tested at around 60,000 PSI (electronic PSI, NOT copper-crusher pressure), which is the same maximum average pressure of the .30-06--still well short of the maximum 65,000 PSI the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute (SAAMI) assigns to any cartridge.

So do you load your 9.3x62 ammo to the pre-WWI velocities? Or the post WWI velocities? Or what?

But my major point is the 9.3x62 was not designed for deer and pig hunting. It was designed to be an affordable cartridge for German settlers in Africa, who might have to deal with much larger (and more dangerous) animals which ate their crops or livestock.

With modern powders it steps up a notch in ballistic performance, but still doesn't recoil as much as the .338 Winchester or .375 H&H Magnums. In fact has worked just as well as either round on the dozens of big game animals I've taken with it from Alaska to Africa since 2002, without as much recoil, even though my custom-stocked CZ 550 rifle only weighs 8 pounds with scope. And with 250-grain spitzers the trajectory is very similar to the .30-06 with 180-grain bullets, so is quite capable at 400+ yards.

Curious how you got the weight down that much?

The way life should be.