Thanks John,

I've a longtime friend in Ohio, who, in his last trip to Africa took a new M70 in .375 H&H, and it worked as well as his previous trip on everything using his M70 .458. But he said it was too heavy, being actually heavier than the .458 because the .458 had the same conture barrel but with less metal due the the larger hole in it.

This .375 H&H is my third, because I "always wanted one" but the first two didn't pan out as wanted or expected. The first was an M70 Winchester PF (which didn't concern me), but was indeed too heavy for my liking at the time and it never gave the expected results in ballistics, which I think was a feature of that particular barrel, and the "right" powders weren't available. Later, in a trade, I got a new Browning A-Bolt in LH, SS with a 26" barrel. The ballistics were outstanding but accuracy was poor after working with it for several months until I had my gunsmith chop 4" from the barrel, thinking that might make a stiffer barrel with better accuracy. In doing so, it was obvious the bore was off-center. The smith said by .008", which could clearly be seen. So it got traded at the same store for the same rifle in .338 Win Mag, that eventually became a .340 Wby at the hands of the same smith. The .338, a .300 Win and the .340 Wby were all stellar in performance.

Anyway, as I said, I always wanted a .375 H&H that worked as expected. So far, this one does, though heavy. But it has a 22" barrel and fits like a glove, so it went bear hunting in the Spring and this past Fall. No bear the size I wanted hunting solo, but a sub-monster was hitring the bait regularly. Next May, God willing, I'll be at it again with the .375 H&KH.

I always appreciate hearing your experiences.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus