In Africa, where this stopping business is more of a thing I recall that nothing is considered a “stopping” rifle until bullet diameter is .45 or better. In comparison the .375 and .366 are mere medium bores. It’s very American of us to consider anything over .30 cal as a “big” bore. Me, and apparently everyone else who’s used both the H&H and Mr. Bock’s fine creation come away thinking there’s not enough difference between the two to matter. Now with that being established I’ll say that I’ve killed alot of brown bears with a .375 and 300 grain Noslers, at some really hard angles and not one of them has kept coming at me or started to do so once pasted. I don’t count on it by any means, but you can believe performance has been very consistent.

All of which is to say I’m just as comfortable trusting the 9.3 with 286s for bear defense, as I am the .375 with 300s. Actually, more so due to the 9.3 holding 6 rounds rather than the .375’s four. If I knew I had to go get in a bear fight I’d probably take the .416 Taylor, but I’d not hesitate to use the 9.3 with 286s.