Originally Posted by CZ550
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Originally Posted by gunner500
The 320gr Woodleigh round nose Weldcore doesn't have near the shank left under the cannelure as the Protected Point version of the same weight, i think you'll have plenty of room for your charge of Varget under that bullet, plus, we all have basher loads, i like em, in fact several cartridges of mine happily live right there...

Thanks.

Originally Posted by mauserator
Varget’s burn rate seems pretty much right for 250gn bullets, something a bit slower like 4350 or big game would probably be closer to the right burn rate for the big Woodleighs and give higher velocity.

Considering Big Game, and 4350 as well.

Think MD wrote that 4350 was inconsistent in this caliber, although that was for the lighter 286 gr. I believe, and loaded for higher velocity.

Other than that, it looks like a good powder choice.

Not really considering higher velocity. The 2260 fps/MV seems to hit all the right marks for this bullet.

GR

RL-17 is generally considered to be around the same burn rate as IMR 4350 or H 4350. It is THE only powder I use for the 250 AB, 286 Partition and 320 Woodleigh. It's a bit slower than Big Game and has more energy (being double base) than the 4350s. It's no problem to get over 2400 fps from the 320 Woodleigh using Rl-17, and very good accuracy with no signs of undue pressure.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

And, would assume that, for a < 200 yard cartridge, Temperature Insensitivity wouldn't be an issue.

GR