Originally Posted by Hondo64d
This whole discussion got started 'cause a couple of guys can't acknowledge that a model line from their beloved favored manufacturer can and does, occasionally (about 20-30% of the time) fail when used under very demanding conditions. John

Actually this discussion started because the OP asked for scope recommendations for LR coyotes and a bunch of guys with zero LR coyote experience started bashing Leupold scopes. cool

It never ceases to amaze me at some people�s inability to rationally observe an event and draw valid conclusions. LDS (Leupold Delusional Syndrome) at it�s finest.

When someone posts pictures that prove the exact opposite of his conclusions then I pretty much discount all the other failures he claims to have seen. The pictures prove, conclusively, that the Leupold optic adjusted exactly as one would expect but a few here still cling to their preconceived notions.
Not many folks have the opportunity to line up several brands and models of scopes, and twist the heck out of the turrets for hours on end on all sorts of different rifles and actually observe how the various products hold up in statistically meaningful numbers. John

Actually a lot of us do have just that opportunity. We are also not limited in ammo selection or rifle selection. We have machinery, fixtures, and procedures that are levels of magnitude better than shown in the above mentioned test.

We also have hunting opportunities and real world experience to back up our statements.

There were also multiple offers to test the purportedly out of spec Leupold using proper fixtures or better rifles and proper procedures but such offers have been met with silence.

I've noticed that when folks hear of something they haven't experienced themselves, they tend to discount it. John

Well I don�t put much stock in Alien Abduction either but I guess just because I never get abducted that does not mean it is absolutely and totally impossible. I suspect if you wanted to search the internet you could find quite a few people who claimed to have been abducted, but until I have a little more concrete evidence of such things I am not going to lose much sleep.

Same applies to the totally ridiculous claims of high failure rates with Leupold scopes. The statistics bandied about here are so out of line with reality that it defies logic.

Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide
In reality ANY optic will fail if beat around enough...

That seems pretty reasonable and the fact that many of the MK 4 Variables in the Army�s inventory have spent time on Barrett M107 might be considered a clue.

I have 13 Leupy's that are all 30mm Tubes variables in Vari-X III, VX-III and Mark 4 models... 2 ea of which are at Leupold for repairs right now and 7 of which had been repaired previously... Repairs consisted of canted reticles, erector/tracking problems, side focus/parallex problems and internal problems...

As stated in a previous post I would love to be able to have a look at a Leupold LR scope that had issues. With your high failure rate it should not be long before you have another give up the ghost. Interested in letting me play with it before you send it back to Leupold?

Personally I would only purchase Nightforce scopes knowing what I know now... Leupy's have their place as do the others but I can not see myself buying a Leupy anytime soon...

Really?????
Trijicon TR23G AccuPoint 5-20x50... Scope is in excellent condition... 30mm tube... Green Triangle reticle..

$600 shipped... Cash, check or money order... NO PAYPAL...

Swarovski 3-10x42A Habicht... Scope is in excellent condition... 1" tube... BR Reticle...

$625 shipped... Cash, check or money order... NO PAYPAL...

Will entertain trades...

Leupold 2.5-8 x 36 Matte... Turret(s) would be a plus... Leupy LR scopes... NF 2.5-10 with MOA or Mil turrets...

I see you�re just interested in trading for Leupolds. Oops blush

Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Dude,

You really wanna keep going on this when you've been completely humiliated?

You should have quit before you started "grasping".

You're a Glutton For Punishment.

Rick,

Some guys simply won�t accept real evidence because it is easier to blame poor shooting or a rifle that really isn�t accurate on the black magic that hides inside scope tubes made in Beaverton Oregon.

As has been admitted any optic can fail. I guess in the really big picture all optics will, at some point in time, fail.

That being said the failure rates claimed by some guys are, in my opinion, more indicative of their shooting than the Leupold LR line.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 07/15/13.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.