Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Berger VLD's will definitely kill elk, but only if you put a VLD in the right place. That's the major trick with any elk bullet!

I hear that!

Tossed a flyer to the right last shot before the season one year.
Last bullet shot, should have given me the fouling I wanted. The other shots were fine.

I knew better then re-adjust the scope, but that hole to the right of where it should have been stuck in my mind.

My chance, my bull trotting with a herd from my left to right. Came up on an open firing-lane and I took the shot! One you can't miss, about 225 yards, full elk in the scope!

My mind took the last split second, and I know a part sub-conscious moter skill took over. In a way I let it.

I let the bullet fly purposely to the left, about the same margin of error compensating for the flyer.

That bull shook, stutter-stepped, and plotted on slower but steady!

Oh no you don't I said, and gave him another, giving that same margin of mental correction.
Bull shook again, and continued slower!

I caught up with him, put him in the freezer.
But tgere would have been no eating his liver, I put two holes about 3 - 4 inches" apart right in the liver.
Right where my mind wanted the gun to go off, so it would take out the top of the heart.

The rifle was fine, some how I had a flyer.

Placement was everything.

Reason I bring this up.
Bullets were Hornady SSTs, a rather aggressive bullet.

Wouldn't Berger have that same thin-jacketed effects on putting elk in the freezer?

Cost sort takes my mind off Berger, but there is a magical draw to them?
Berger does seem 'avalable' , I would like to try them. Someday.

Clinging to my God, and my guns!