Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Bob,

I'll just note that there have been a bunch of bullets "designed" for hunting that work much less than perfectly for the purpose. In fact some have been the biggest POS's ever devised�.

Well. We agree on that.

[Regarding VLDs] � Do they do everything, including cleaning windows? No, but then no other bullet does either. That's one of the unfortunate limitations of hunting bullets, despite all the hunters and Campfire members who claim to use the only perfect all-around hunting bullet ever made. (Apparently there at least a dozen different bullets that are absolutely perfect in every way, yet somehow very few people agree on exactly which one it is.)

Guess I missed where anyone has claimed to use the �only perfect all-around hunting bullet ever made�. But I agree there are many excellent bullet choices other than VLDs (which I think might be one of the best for extended ranges, even if I choose not to use them for the ranges at which I�m willing to shoot). Moreover, I happily use several of those other bullets, as do my hunting buddies, and they have yet to disappoint.

The other comment I'll make, partly because I just did it myself, is that this thread contains all the same stuff that's repeated every time the subject of Berger Hunting VLD's comes up on the Campfire, and often from the same people--MOST of whom have never used them in the field, or ever SEEN them used in the field.

I find it uproariously laughable every time you imply that first-hand experience is a necessary factor in the human learning experience. If that were the case we would all be living in caves and communicating via grunts and other primitive pre-language sounds. Fortunately most of us are quite capable of learning from the experiences of others via a variety of means of communication.

What business are you in again? Oh, yeah � providing information to and educating others via what are (to them) second-hand experiences. [Still laughing.]

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.