Originally Posted by goodshot
While I certainly don't have the experience of many.ive killed one Elk....used a .270 with. 150 grain nosler partision. Killed lots of deer with Sierra Game Kings, many with a bow and even 3 with a .50 climber round ball. The one simple thing that I try to o is wait for a clean shot regardless of the weapon. Use any decent weapon with a well placed shot....bingo. Not trying to over simplify this thread, but the guys killing game regardless of the bullet are hitting em where they should. Just my .02 cents worth. Have a safe and enjoyable season guy, take good shots and most decent projectiles will do the rest. Goodshot

goodshot -

Waiting for a clean shot opportunity is highly recommended but the key word there is "opportunity". Many times the best opportunity presented is less than ideal, other times the shooter screws up or the animals moves at the last possible instant or the shot doesn't work out as intended for whatever reason. More than once I've been presented with "take the shot offered or go home empty-handed" opportunities and I've gone both ways as a result. As I've found in the past, a great opportunity does not always translate to great bullet placement. That is why I believe it is prudent to work for the best and plan for the worst. Most any bullet will work in the former case, not so much in the second.

My philosophy of "shoot them until they are down and stay that way" is shared by many responsible elk hunters. While some might think that means "fill the air with a wall of lead, reload and go again", what it has meant for me is a quick follow-up shot if the elk is still standing. The photo below shows what I think is the most bullets I've ever put in an elk, three total.

If you look closely you can see grass through the hole in the circle. That was from shot #1, a full broadside at 265 yards. The poor placement was my fault entirely and the cow was still standing and walking slowly. I adjusted my position, took shot #2, again on a broadside. The cow remained standing so I took #3 a few seconds later. Shots #2 and #3 made a single, elongated hole. On skinning the animal it became apparent shot #3 was unnecessary and simply hastened the inevitable - probably by no more than a few seconds.

[Linked Image]

The worst-case scenario for me would be a wounded elk that is heading away or a quartering shot from the rear where the elk moves as the trigger breaks, as happened to me with a buck muley several years ago. In such cases I want a bullet that will expand reliably but hold together for deep penetration, and even then there is no guarantee. That said, I've driven MRX and TTSX front-to-rear on muleys and a North Fork from ham to sternum on another. In my (all-important to some) first-hand experience these bullets have proven to be very reliable and quick killers regardless of the angle.

Less than three weeks ago Daughter #3 became a first-time homeowner. Two days ago severe winds came up and blew part of a neighbor's giant maple tree down on her home. Thank goodness Daughter #3 had insurance, which will pay for the repair of the hole in her roof, the damage siding, broken glass and cleanup. Stuff happens. That tree is of unknown age but it had been standing for many years without causing any problems. Stuff happens and the wise take reasonable precautions. Working for the best shot opportunity is only the first such precaution to my way of thinking. Once the trigger breaks it is all up to the bullet and choosing one that performs well under as wide a variety of circumstances as possible seems a logical second step to me.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.