Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I have also seen some of today's most highly-touted "hunting" bullets fail as well, including some deemed to be the sort of magic bullet that penetrates the vitals from any angle.....

That's one of the unfortunate limitations of hunting bullets, despite all the hunters and Campfire members who claim to use the only perfect all-around hunting bullet ever made. (Apparently there at least a dozen different bullets that are absolutely perfect in every way, yet somehow very few people agree on exactly which one it is.)

Interesting comments. Not that they need my endorsement but I agree 100%.

I loaded some .308 rounds for a guy last year, for elk hunting. Loaded up both Partitions and TTSXs; the TTSXs shot small groups so he used those. He shot a nice 6-pointer broadside, at under 100 yards, and through the heart.

He came by the other night with his fired brass and asked me to load up some more, but he wanted only Partitions this time. He showed me the TTSX, recovered from under the hide on the off-side. The only way I could tell it had been fired was by the rifling marks. So it neither expanded, nor exited on a broadside elk at under 100 yards, which is one of the main reasons people say they like TSXs (two holes, blood trail, and all that).

Is that "bullet failure" if it's recovered from a dead elk?

A wise man is frequently humbled.