Coyote Hunter, I agree to a point. I have made those shots you describe, mainly while bow hunting, and wounded and lost animals. I feel terrible when that has happened. I remember when Whitetail hunting in Northern Wisconsin ( I lived up there for 8 years) we would sometimes have to push deer out of tag alder swamps, and the shot angles were many times less than ideal. My bullet of choice was the Nosler Partision. Many of the newer bullets were not out then, and I could never get the older Barnes bullets to shoot out of my older Remington 721. I later purchased a .280 Remington Weatherby MK5 that shot just about everything great. So here is my bottom line....if I felt the hunting presentation was going to be such that less than perfect shot angles were probably going to happen, use a tougher bullet. We did a lot of stand hunting as well, and could usually wait for the proper shot angle.i now hunt Montana up in the wheat country for Mule Deer, some Whitetails and Antelope. Sierra Gamekings and Nosler Ballistic tips have worked perfectly. Now, if I headed to the Bob Marshall area or somthing like that....I would be taking my larger guns with tougher bullets, knowing that angle shots are going to be all that might present themselves. My point was mainly that the condition somewhat determines the bullet type. I think the John Burn's of the world are number one, superb rifle shots, twoM use top shelf equipment, three....practice a ton. I have personal limits I set on how far I will Try to shoot due to my skill set. I will not take a shot that is behind my comfort zone. I think we are both on the same page here, but I do think we all have a certain level of responsibility to pass on shots that are questionable at best. Best of luck this year, and thank you for a very fair comment and some great points. Goodshot

Last edited by goodshot; 09/21/13.