You guys are running true to form. You understand hurling lame insults makes you look bad, right?

luv2safari, what gun is that?

The grouse around here are tough if you're a sportsman. I could have shot a limit yesterday if I wanted to shoot them sitting. No thanks, I'll leave that to Shrapnel. Blues and ruffeds both are pretty good at keeping trees between you and them. Shots are quick through the trees, the blues flush wild because of the sparse cover in the pines. Sometimes I wonder if a dog helps or hurts you in those conditions. They definitely help finding downed birds, and they're amazing to watch. I wouldn't hunt without one, but they can be a double edged sword. My last bird yesterday flushed high out of a tree, heading downhill fast. I had to spin 180 degrees and hit a dropping target, which isn't easy gven my mediocre shooting skills. The first one was flushing from one tree to another, I had to run a few steps to my left to get a decent shot. I'd love a nice straightaway flushing from under my feet, but that's a rarity. Hit more trees than birds yesterday. I'll be hunting ducks tomorrow.

Last edited by Paddler; 10/08/15.

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope