The proposal throws a bone to the 2A faction in that it does't ban the firearms in question, while placating the wailing of the Left to "do something....anything...even if it won't work".

Someone bent on committing a mass shooting neither knows nor cares that he/she is prohibited from buying/owning the firearm in question. They will not have read the law. If they are that far off the deep end they will acquire it illegally,steal it, borrow it....whatever.One way or another they will get their hands on it.

Of course they may have no prior history of mental illness, in which case, they would not be prohibited from owning it in the first place,assuming they can pass the gauntlet of red tape.

Barring all of this, they take one of those fixed magazine firearms, "suitable for sporting purposes" (whatever the hell that means but once again subject to arbitrary definition and interpretation by another bunch of bureaucrats) ,or steal a $40k shotgun from somewhere in Utah, and execute a bunch of people in an Oregon classroom because they are the only one in the room with a gun.

Then we are back to regulating $40k shotguns.

As to the letter,you ask Representative Chaffetz to seriously consider your proposal,then tell him that (a) you didn't vote for him; (b)that he's rude and condescending (an [bleep] basically) ,and beat up on him over Planned Parenthood.

Great diplomacy.Admirable people skills and powers of persuasion.

If I were Chaffetz I would ignore the letter.

See what I mean about (some) doctors?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.