Originally Posted by TheKid
Originally Posted by High_Noon
TheKid: Very nice! Did it drop in its tracks?

Ken: Thanks for the photos - nice rifle!

Yes, rainy day and a huge spray of mist lifted off the side of him at impact, pretty neat to see. Of course in the interest of full disclosure the other big bull that was standing beside him also went down like he'd been electrocuted when my sister in law put a 150 Nosler from her 270 into his chest. In fact I have only seen one caribou shot that didn't drop in it's tracks, they are really about the easiest animals in NA to kill IMO.

I agree caribou usually die easily, but a seriously large bull I shot in the Mulchatna herd many years ago was one of the toughest critters I have ever seen die. Multiple broadside shots through both lungs at 250 yards or so with a 300WM did not drop it before I walked to the animal, first wading King Salmon Creek and then climbing the hillside. There was a very big herd and he walked into the herd so getting to him was difficult and finding a safe shot even tougher.

I had multiple bulls walking right up to me and some had fighting intentions it seemed. It was very late October and the rut was still evident in many of the bulls. I suspect they had some unbred cows coming back into heat.

I finally got to shoot the bull again at very close range right in the hip socket after following him for at least 400 yards. Then I put another in the neck...

He was damn near inedible... Stank... and had a bruised talley whacker that looked like it had been run through a meat tenderizer. It made B&C all-time by official score.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.