Just wanted to give you all un update about James (Boy #2).

I spent the last couple of weeks with James, and in addition to some backpacking and camping, we did some shooting and visited a couple of gun stores. I was surprised by how little the recoil on the 308 Win and 270 Win we were shooting bothered him, so that opened up more options than I had expected. When we went to the stores, it turned out that the rifles he liked best were the Tikka T3 and the T/C Venture.

Of the two, though, he *really* liked the Tikka best--it just shouldered well, and he loved the slick bolt. I noticed when we were at Gander Mtn. that there was a used (but great condition) Tikka T3 Hunter in 270 Win for sale for $450 (he liked the wood stock better than synthetic). I spoke with AlaskanMatt, and it turned out he was able to get the rifle a bit early, and so he went ahead and got him that rifle--I picked it up from the store on the sly. Other than taking advantage of a really good deal, the logic was that by getting it a little early he'd have more time to practice with the rifle and would be better prepared for the November hunting trip. Keep in mind that he didn't even know that he was going to be getting a rifle, but just thought we were window shopping, so to speak...

There were some other people who--when I told them about it--were so moved by the generosity of the members of the 'fire that they also asked to chip in somehow, and one of them got the rings for the scope. As soon as the rings arrived I mounted the scope & bore sighted it. We went to go shooting at the range on Saturday, and then I told James that I had been talking with his granddad, who thought that James probably shouldn't shoot his rifle so much anymore...(his face fell)...because now he had his very own rifle! (his face registered shock and incomprehension!)

Then I explained that this was not a gift from me or anyone in his family, but from a very generous soldier serving right now in Afghanistan! And more than that, there was a whole crowd of generous people who had pooled together to equip him for a deer hunt over Thanksgiving--the scope on the rifle, hard case, beautiful hunting knife, the reloading press and other reloading equipment (which I had shown him how to use and which he had assumed was mine), some additional reloading supplies & ammo his granddad & I included, a filled up hunting pack, the hunting shirt, and on & on. He was really speechless!

Here are a few pics of James with the rifle, and with me and his granddad. I look forward to completing this story (and showing more pictures) when he goes on his first deer hunting trip!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I took him out shooting it, and he put the first 3 rounds right around an inch with factory loaded Federal Fusion 130 gr--I hope that doesn't weaken his desire to handload! grin

Honestly guys, I'm more grateful to you all than I can really express for your generosity, and also for the opportunity you have given me to present this fine young man with such a great gift! I wish you could have gotten to see the expression on his face...

FYI, his thank-you note will be posted here very shortly!

Last edited by dclayton; 07/02/12.

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us." Jn 1:14

"The expense is reckoned, the enterprise is begun; it is of God; it cannot be withstood. So the faith was planted: So it must be restored." -St. Edmund Campion (+1581)